This year, I practiced these five intentions: Gratefulness. Feeling luminous. Trust. Vitality. Gracefulness.
Now, the winter solstice is upon us, and I inevitably spend the time, from that point through the end of December, reflecting on the past year and how I got here still in one piece and still practicing those five intentions I set for myself.
The goal is always happiness, right? But there are always dips, so I'm amazed when I do these reflections and find that there were things I kept doing (or not doing!) amidst both the highs and the lows to keep me sane and as healthy as possible. I'm curious if anything resonates with you!
1. Took B-School with Marie Forleo and continued implementing into my business a majority of the strategies I learned. These strategies helped me during times when burnout was imminent (fall portrait season September-November!). And they helped turn everything from strictly marketing to getting to know my worth and my tribe. So much more rewarding!
2. Said, "No." This one was rough and challenging, but creating boundaries with friends and family was incredibly important to maintaining a relationship with myself. And I needed a better relationship with myself this year after all the loss I experienced last year.
3. Watched Friends. This is my go-to show to zone out and laugh when I need something light and fluffy. :) Works like a charm.
4. Hired an assistant! Most of you likely know at this point that I hired the beautiful Nicole to assist me with administrative and marketing things two days a week. Life saver. The growth of this business magnified intensely after she joined me. Grateful.
5. Light yoga daily. Stretching my body is integral to not only my physical self but my mental and spiritual self, too. I don't do anything rigorous or lengthy. I usually spend about 10-20min on my mat. Resets and uplifts me every time.
6. Journaled. Every morning. Usually for up to an hour. I understand journaling isn't always for the faint of heart, but if you need to dig in and get to know yourself...this is the #1 tactic. Hands down. Don't know where to start, REACH OUT TO ME! I love writing and want more people writing! <3
8. Drank Water. Water. Water. Cuz...water. If you've ever met me in person, you've likely seen my mason jar water baby. ;) And you've likely asked jokingly if it's moonshine. Nope. Elixir of life is what it is.
9. Put my phone on Do Not Disturb and power saving mode. Every night when I head to bed, the phone is out of my hands and away from my face so I can let go of other people's thoughts before falling asleep.
10. Stopped eating so much sugar. Hello. I'm Katy, and I'm a sugar addict. This isn't a joke. It's the truth. And it had to stop. My gut needs healing and healing doesn't happen with sugar. The clarity I feel after a few days without is tremendous.
11. Walked. Whether to the lake, through the woods, or around my block, I got out for fresh air and natural light. Holy mood boost.
12. Expressed gratitude and appreciation. For loved ones. For coffee. For my cats. For the sun. For the rain. For my illnesses (once I stopped being crabby about being sick) making me see that I required rest and stillness. For nourishing food. For my home. For candles. For clients. For creativity. For expression. For love. For growing pains. For darkness. For myself.
Right now, with the challenges we face socially and politically, gratitude is my saving grace. And with that, I want to express my overflowing gratitude for you: your love and support, your kindness, and your creativity. You keep this well-oiled machine running and so so worth it.
Have amazing holidays. See you in 2018!
What did (or didn't!) you do to uplift yourself this past year?